As a public institution committed to make accessible to our patrons information for education, research, discovery, self-improvement, recreation and cultural enrichment, the Library makes its facilities available to individuals and groups for activities in keeping with these purposes. The following rules are designed to insure the appropriate use of the facilities;
- Organizations and/or individuals seeking to use the Library facilities must be considered individually and ruled upon by the Library Director/Board of Trustees.
- Library meeting room facilities usage is free of charge for registered charitable organizations and Avalon clubs. If the meeting is scheduled after normal Library operating hours then a custodial fee will be determined and a minimum deposit will charged at time of registration.
- All activities conducted by these organizations and individuals must be non-profit, community-oriented, and educational or cultural in focus. Personal parties or gatherings are not considered eligible. Each activity must be considered individually and ruled upon, provided that such use does not interfere with Library programs or functions.
- Library-sponsored activities will pre-empt all others. In order to give maximum benefit to Library-sponsored activities, and minimum inconvenience to others, each application must be submitted a reasonable length of time (60 days is suggested) in advance of the date requested. A final decision will be made within 30 days of the receipt of request.
- As a publicly supported institution, it is essential that both the security and physical plant of the Library be maintained at the highest possible levels. For this reason, any group or individual using the Library may be required to employ the services of the Library’s custodial personnel, at a rate determined by the Board of Trustees.
- Publicity or literature distributed by any organization or individual should not suggest that the program is sponsored or co-sponsored by the Library. The fact that a group is permitted to meet at the Library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs by the Library staff or Board of Trustees.
- Activities involving teenagers or children are only permitted with adequate adult supervision.
- The responsible officer of each organization, or the individual, seeking to use the facilities shall be held responsible for building security; for fulfillment of the rules set forth for the use of the facilities; for the conduct of members and guests while on the Library premises; and for the payment of all charges for the mis-use of the building and facilities. Acceptance of this responsibility is indicated by the signature below.
- The premises, inventory, and equipment will be inspected after each non-Library sponsored activity and assessments shall be made for excessive disorder, breakage or loss.
- Refreshments will be approved at the discretion of the Library Director at time of contract signing.
- Smoking and the use of any drug, including alcohol, are prohibited.
- All groups are expected to clean the premises before leaving and return the area to the same state as found.
- The Library is not responsible for any equipment, supplies, materials, clothing, or other items brought to the Library by any organization or group attending the meeting.
- No materials or equipment are to be stored without express permission of the Library Director. Any items approved for storage must be removed at the conclusion of the period covered by the agreement.
- No Library property shall be removed from the premises without the express permission of the Library Director.
- All applicants desiring to use the Library facilities are required to sign the contract below, provide a certificate of liability for the minimum standard insurance coverage determined by the Library’s Insurance carrier and shall execute an Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement in favor of the Free Public Library of the Borough of Avalon, NJ.
- The Library Board and staff do not assume any liability for organizations or individuals attending a meeting at the Library.
- The Library retains the right to withdraw approval and/or deny future use at any time. The respectful use of the Library’s building, furnishings and fixtures are essential to the continued public enjoyment of our facility.
Facilities Use Form
Indemity and Hold Harmless Agreement